Patreon is a creators platform that allows fans to set up monthly donations in exchange for specialized content, music, blogs, etc. Patreon doesn’t offer marketing options for its creators, making discoverability difficult. Patreon needs a way to make discoverability easier for its users so they can support new creators.
UX/UI Designer (Business Analysis, Affinity Mapping, App Map, Wireframes, High Fidelity Mockups)
Sketch, InVision, Trello, Google Docs
Team members had the opportunity to interview several Patreon creators, patrons, as well as general users. This data gave the team valuable insights into the problems users were facing while trying to use the Patreon app.
Some of the pain points using the Patreon app included:
- Many creators find it difficult to get their work presented to new people.
- General users have a difficult time navigating around the app.
- The overall usability of the app is difficult and not intuitive.
- The current search option isn’t intuitive and is difficult to discover new creators.
- Patreon offers several tools for creators, but finding and implementing them is difficult.
After collecting data through user interviews, we started synthesizing data by affinity mapping. Some of the areas that stood out to us included Discovery & Connection, Motivated by Money, Data & Transparency, Why Creators Like Patreon, Incentives on Patreon, and Patreon Usability.